My husband, Andy, is a big fan of cacao. He puts cacao into everything- smoothies, ice cream, muffins, hot chocolate, biscuits... Everything contains cacao even to the extent that clients know if a recipe I'm giving to them comes from Andy (if it contains cacao there is a big probability that it its Andy's).
I'm certainly not complaining! Especially when he makes these brownies for us- they are to die for!!
I shared some at my August Calm and Energise Workshop and most of the feedback forms contained comments on how good the brownies were!!
They are a great snack to prepare ahead and take out as you need it from the fridge. They are nut free, dairy free, gluten free, wheat free and don't require any baking.
I've made you wait long enough for the recipe... here it is!
Andy's Brownies Recipe
12 Medjool dates- pitted (approx 200g)
1/3 cup cacao
1/3 cup dessicated coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
4 tablespoons of coconut oil
extra dessicated coconut for dusting at the end
1. Line a flat tray with baking paper.
2. Add all the ingredients (except the extra dessicated coconut) to a thermomix and blend on speed 9 for about 30 seconds until ingredients have combined into a paste. If you don't have a thermomix, then use a food processor.
3. Wet your hands and tip the mixture onto the tray. Flatten the mixture on the tray with your hands until it is about 1 cm thick.
4. Place the tray in the freezer, leave there for 30 minutes
5. Cut into pieces.
6. Dust with dessicated coconut.
We keep our brownies in the freezer and take them out in the morning for school lunches.
For some extra deliciousness you can add 3 drops of a good quality essential oil in step 2 (peppermint or orange are delicious. Please let me know if you would advice on which essential oils to use).